Wednesday 6 June 2012

Chanel Inspired Cake





I finally got to create the cake that has been floating around in my head for months!  This cake was inspired by these Chanel runway designs.  There are some things I love about my cake and definitely a few things I would do differently or not at all.  I love the ruffle effect on the bottom tier, it took forever but it turned out exactly as I had pictured it.  I should have made the pink a lighter shade but I forgot that fondant can actually deepen in colour as you let it sit.  I had a very difficult time with the stencil on the top tier.  Instead of using royal icing with the stencil I just brushed on petal dust to add the colour.  This was very difficult to line up so I wasn't super pleased with the result, I will need to practice this skill for sure.  The pearls turned out great, they were inspired by the pearls around the first models waist.

The cake itself is a dark chocolate cake filled with raspberry ganache and vanilla swiss meringue buttercream, a delicious combination!

All in all I am happy with the final result and I am glad that I can learn from each creation.

* Update-I found out today that this cake sold for $800 at the charity auction!

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I love that you express your creativity and art in the design of your cakes. So talented you are Anna.

    ReplyDelete